<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Saturday, September 29, 2007

Who’s in control? 

“...the general tacit assumption in thought is that it's just telling you the way things are and that it's not doing anything - that 'you' are inside there, deciding what to do with the info. But you don't decide what to do with the info. Thought runs you. Thought, however, gives false info that you are running it, that you are the one who controls thought. Whereas actually thought is the one which controls each one of us.

[...]

"What I mean by "thought" is the whole thing - thought, felt, the body, the whole society sharing thoughts - it's all one process. It is essential for me not to break that up, because it's all one process; somebody else's thoughts becomes my thoughts, and vice versa. Therefore it would be wrong and misleading to break it up into my thoughts, your thoughts, my feelings, these feelings, those feelings... I would say that thought makes what is often called in modern language a system. A system means a set of connected things or parts."


From “Thought as a System”, quoted in the Wikipedia article about its author, physicist David Bohm.

I have become wary of my thoughts; they lead me down paths I don't want to explore, take me to places I want to get away from. Some are traps - thought-paths that take you down a slippery slope into a deep hollow impossible to climb out of; some are circuits with no start and no end, forever covering the same old ground; some are paths laid down by others - I merely follow where their feet have already trodden.

It is hard to think of something new.

Back to current posts