<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Monday, September 10, 2007

The centre 

I doubt that many visitors to this blog, if indeed there are any such left, are unfamiliar with whiskey river. I could just post a link, but I want to make sure I don’t lose these words. So much wisdom, even wrapped up in a single word; I want to be able to return to this and know that I can find it again.

"At the center of our being is a point of nothingness which is untouched by sin and by illusion, a point of pure truth, a point or spark which belongs entirely to God, which is never at our disposal, from which God disposes of our lives, which is inaccessible to the fantasies of our own mind or the brutalities of our own will. This little point of nothingness and of absolute poverty is the pure glory of God in us. It is so to speak His name written in us, as our poverty, as our indigence, as our dependence, as our sonship. It is like a pure diamond, blazing with the invisible light of heaven. It is in everybody, and if we could see it we would see these billions of points of light coming together in the face and blaze of a sun that would make all the darkness and cruelty of life vanish completely . . . I have no program for this seeing. It is only given. But the gate of heaven is everywhere."

- Thomas Merton


Back to current posts