<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, February 13, 2007

An inmost centre 

Searching back for an old post (which I couldn't find) I came across something unfinished which I'd saved in Blogger as a draft 2 years ago - almost to the day - but never published. A message which it now seems I'd left for myself, to find its way through a time tunnel and pop up in front of me today.

By uncanny coincidence, even though this was a completely different post from the one I was looking for, it held the metaphor I sought, referenced in the words "...streaming through widening channels into the open sea."

There's not a lot I can add - the words speak for themselves, now as then:

"I believe in all that has never yet been spoken.
I want to free what waits within me
so that what no one has dared to wish for

may for once spring clear
without my contriving.

If this is arrogant, God, forgive me,
but this is what I need to say.
May what I do flow from me like a river,
no forcing and no holding back,
the way it is with children.

Then in these swelling and ebbing currents,
these deepening tides moving out, returning,
I will sing you as no one ever has,

streaming through widening channels
into the open sea."

~ Ranier Maria Rilke ~

[Today's posting on Panhala]

"I want to free what waits within me
so that what no one has dared to wish for
may for once spring clear
without my contriving...
May what I do flow from me like a river..."


How does one have the courage to say such powerful words? I shy away from their boldness, their honesty, their piercing light. Far easier, far safer, to hide; to pretend that their simple, shocking truth is pure fantasy. After all, what if they were true?

These messages keep coming: Lois [a dear blogging friend now no longer active in the blogosphere] posted this by Browning:
Truth is within ourselves; it takes no rise
From outward things, whate'er you may believe.
There is an inmost centre in us all,
Where truth abides in fullness; and around,
Wall upon wall, the gross flesh hems it in,
This perfect, clear perception--which is truth.

A baffling and perverting carnal mesh
Binds it, and makes all error: and to know
Rather consists in opening out a way
Whence the imprisoned splendour may escape,
Than in effecting entry for a light
Supposed to be without.

"There is an inmost centre ..."
somewhere...


Back to current posts