<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, March 27, 2005

Cost of compassion 

Our church services tend to be interactive affairs; this morning’s was no exception.

Find a partner, we were told, and each tell the other about an occasion when someone did something for you, at a cost to themselves. Then each tell about an occasion when you did something for someone else, at a cost to yourself.

It wasn’t easy. The hard part, for me, was simply finding the stories. I’m a little ashamed to say that, off the top of my head, I couldn’t even think of one, either way.

Never mind religion for the moment; this is about how far we go in breaking down the carefully constructed barriers that protect our identities, and living out reckless human compassion one for another.

I came away not very proud, and rather thoughtful.

Back to current posts