<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Been playing... 

I've been meaning to update the look here for quite a while, but never quite got around to it, until today. I'll probably play some more, but for now this will do.

The exercise reinforced something I discovered a long time ago about learning: self-confidence and belief in one's understanding of something, although not in themselves sufficient, go a long way to maximising the benefit of whatever knowledge one has.

When I started this blog I knew no HTML at all. I got a book, tinkered with the template once or twice - must be a year ago now - but didn't go any further because it seemed such an uphill struggle to get to grips with it all. Now, a year on, I know no more HTML than I did then, yet the knowledge seems somehow to have secretly migrated from an internal memory storage cupboard labelled "new stuff - use with caution" to a different cupboard labelled "old stuff - use anything in here freely".

I still know very little HTML, but without even using it, my belief about what little I knew changed from being it unfamiliar to being familiar. I suppose that's a long-winded way of saying it must have sunk in.

Do leave a comment if the new layout misbehaves in your browser; I wanted both main column and sidebar to be fixed width to accomodate photos, but couldn't get sideways scrolling to work if the user's window isn't wide enough. More to learn yet...



Back to current posts