<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, December 24, 2003

Blogger's Christmas 

I got a bit gloomy earlier today, thinking how alike Christmases have become. It hardly seems any time since the last one; we’re doing the same things again this year as last year, and the year before that, and probably the same as next year as well. They all merge into one. Same decorations, same preparations, same angst over what presents to buy, same food, same ritual.

But it’s not quite the same. This time last year I wasn’t blogging; I didn’t even know what a blog was. Now at times it threatens to take over my life.

Since my focus has probably shifted a little too far into this brave new world, it may not be altogether a bad thing if at Christmas my attention returns to the material here-and-now of meatspace. But as I said, it’s not the same. There’s now a whole bunch of people out there who, without my realising it, have become a part of my life.

You know how it is when you go on holiday, meet a bunch of strangers, and you only realise when you come to part that in the space of a couple of weeks you’ve become good friends? It feels a bit like that now. Now that attention is turning back into the immediacy of friends and family for a while, I realise that there are others who have become friends since this time last year, or maybe will become friends by this time next year, but will have no part in the celebrations here in real-space. And that leaves a bit of a hole.

Have a good one, guys 'n' gals. At some point, my thoughts will be with you all. Happy Christmas.

Andy

[Later edit: I just read that back. It sounds rather Scrooge-like; I'm certainly not gloomy now, just had a mild touch of melancholia before. Just in case you get the wrong idea, I shall be enjoying Christmas as much as anyone!]


Back to current posts