<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Friday, October 24, 2003

The power of language 

It's strange how a familiar thought can be given new life by a new set of words.

I came across this yesterday, in a comment on Real Live Preacher. It was supposedly said by St Francis of Assisi:

"Always preach the gospel. Use words if necessary".

Eight words containing a profound message. Essentially he's saying walk the talk - whether that be the Christian gospel or whatever set of beliefs drives your action. Not a new idea. But the simple way in which the words are put, saying that verbal explanations are only a supplement to the actions which are the prime medium by which our message is communicated, have allowed me to see that idea afresh.

Its a memorable phrase that will stay in my mind - and, I hope, colour my actions.



Back to current posts